Monday, April 6, 2009

Reflection 9

Think of a time when you have helped someone through a tough time. Was it a good friend or someone you just met? How did you know what to do/what to say? What would you do differently if the same situation came up again?

Most of friends come to me and me only with their problems. They refer to me as their consoler and the problem solver. My best friend, Brittany, is going to school in California, as far away as possible and I am still the only person she tells her problems. For example, she recently just broke up with her boyfriend and called me at 3 in the morning. I helped her through her crisis and we finished a 5 hour conversation talking about our times back in 5th grade. We haven’t seen each other since high school graduation, but we catch up almost immediately. Brittney seems to attract crisis if you ask me, and he boyfriend does nothing to help. She called in a fit of distress and I talked her through his decision by entertaining other possibilities, other than the negative. She provided every reason that he could have left her and I dismissed them with simple explanations. Once she was reasonable again, and felt much better after letting it all out, I told her what I thought happened and helped her take the steps to resolve her issue. They are now back together and are quite happy. I wouldn’t change anything that I did because it worked out well.

No comments:

Post a Comment